Wednesday, June 26, 2013

The Transition

Change. It is the only thing that is constant in this world. In a field like Medical technology, we always tend to search for improvement. Looking for new discoveries, researching something new in healthcare, and finding the latest technologies and updates. As a professional, we are never satisfied so we broaden our horizons, open our minds and look for something not necessarily better but something great.

I have worked inside a clinical laboratory ever since I graduated college and passed the boards. I decided it's about time to try something new and challenging. From being a phlebotomist to a rotating Med Tek staff to a Histopathology staff to a Microbilogy staff (reference lab), I might say that I made it to all the corners of a clinical laboratory. And so, I sought for something different and new for me. Hence, I found a challenge and accepted it.

Perfusionist. Wikipedia defined it as "a specialized healthcare professional who uses the heart-lung machine during cardiac surgery and other surgeries that require cardiopulmonary bypass to manage the patient's physiological status". From the clinical lab to the cardiovascular OR. To be honest, I would see myself more as a researcher working for a private company rather than a perfusionist. After all, the latest job I had was at a reference laboratory in a research institution. It's going to be a big transition for me. That's for sure. But just like any other Med Teks, we adapt. It's in our nature. For example, if there's no more reagent for our machines, we do manual. If there is less supply, we make sure it's enough until the next delivery. If there's few syringes left, we make sure we never miss an extraction. It's in a Med Tek's DNA: the ability to survive, the ability to change and the ability to be better.

Facing a new phase in one's career is nothing ordinary to a Med Tek's life. You take a new course, you learn and you grow. Switching from one job to the other is difficult, it's probably harder if you're going abroad.  It's hard to make a change. It's even harder to resign and make a resignation letter. It is a process, as one of my colleague would say. Transitions are never easy. But it would be great and fulfilling if you could overcome it. I guess as I start a new path in my career, I would use all the skills and knowledge that I acquired from my past experiences. As a Med Tek, I have always believed that it is innate to us that we are always ready for any changes or transition.



Tell your friends about medtek101.blogspot.com! God bless!



Like me on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/MedTek101
Follow me on twitter @BuhayMedTek





*Shoutout to ARSRL (Antimicrobial Resistance Surveilance Reference Laboratory) of DOH-RITM! Thanks for sharing your knowledge, thank you for all the laughter, thank you for all the adventure, and of course, thank you for all the priceless moments! Thanks for the memories guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment